Posted on March 20, 2013
Anne and I love the line of frozen Gardein products (not gluten free). They form the basis of many quick and easy vegan meals. I usually just saute the Beefless Tips in some olive oil, and serve with rice and a veggie. But I know they (and I) can do much more than that. I found this recipe, and adapted it a bit to suit our tastes. This seems a lot more complicated than it is, but the most time consuming task was chopping the veggies (and I used my mandolin slicer).
- 1 package beefless tips, thawed for a few minutes
- 1-2 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar (or organic brown sugar, remember it’s not vegan unless it’s organic sugar and SAYS vegan on the package)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced and chopped
- 1 cup organic carrot, sliced
- 1 organic green pepper chopped
- 1 cups organic spinach leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
Remove Beefless Tips from package, thaw for 5 minutes and cut in half. Meanwhile start preparing the rice (I use our rice cooker.)
In small bowl combine Tamari sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, agave, chili oil, and Sriracha sauce. Whisk/mix well and set aside.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat, and add the vegetable oil. Sauté the beefless tips in the oil for 4-5 minutes caramelizing well on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add onions, carrot and pepper to the pan and cook until onions are caramelized and carrots and pepper are soft. Add sauce mixture, cooked beefless tips and spinach and cook until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted.
Sprinkle sesame seeds on the mixture, and serve over some rice. Some may want it spicier, so give them the Sriracha!